Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

Epilepsy and Depression- Dreams of a Cure By Way of VNS Implant


I was talking to a girl online who also has Epilepsy, Depression, and is a Psychology major. These are 3 things that define me too!
She had the Vagus Nerve Stimulation implant (VNS), which gives her brain electrical shocks and helps stop her seizures whenever necessary. She said it has really helped her memory because she is not taking as many seizure medications, although she still has to take some. She mentioned that because the implant affects her brain, it also helps with her depression.
VNS
As far as anti-seizure drugs affecting memory, I can vouch for that! I used to have a really great memory & now, at the age of 30, I have more memory problems than I can remember... pun intended!
I have had so many terrible side-effects from the numerous seizure meds that I have been on, that I have lost count. Some of the side-effects are almost worse than the actual seizures themselves. It's bad when the side-effects negatively affect my in-class presenting skills and the instructor comments "practicing would help." I wanna say: "Nope, I did practice! It's my meds. They make me repeat myself and I forget what I'm saying". It Sucks!!!
ANTI-SEIZURE MEDS ARE ALSO USED
AS MOOD STABILIZERS. THEREFORE, EVERYTIME
I SEE  MY NEUROLOGIST SHE SAYS TO ME:
"HOWS YOUR MOOD, MELANIE" :)
I use to be a really good speaker, won forensics trophy’s, and acted in the theater, which required performing in front of huge audience's. I stopped acting because my seizures got in the way, and it got to the point where I couldn't even remember a simple monologue to audition with-no matter how much and how hard I tried. I was probably only 21-years-old at the time.
I was talking to my neurologist recently, and she said that most people with Epilepsy also have Depression. That makes since to me because I was diagnosed with depression soon after I was diagnosed with Epilepsy. When you can't drive or live independently, you tend to get a bit depressed.
My epilepsy has always been pretty bad, and I am currently on disability for it. I've had to drop out of a few college courses, here and there, because of hospital stays. Plus, I dropped out of high school my senior year because my seizures caused me to miss so much school that I couldn't graduate because of my absences. I even broke my ankle about a year ago and was in a cast & crutches for a few months after having a grand mal seizure and falling down a flight of stairs. At least I get some help paying for college with Vocational Rehab.
Because I have never been a candidate for the implant before, I guess I just had to decide if I wanted seizures. If not, I had to make myself willing to deal with all the side-effects of the anti-seizure medications. I currently take 3 anti-seizure meds at high levels & an anti-depressant. However, my seizures have been better the last couple of months so maybe I should ask my neurologist if I could be a candidate for the the VNS implant now!
It hasn't always been easy, but I'm glad all this happened to me because it inspired my passion in Psychology and Counseling. But, if I could become a candidate for The VNS implant, I would totally go ahead & get it!



AWESOME FOUNDATION!!! http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/resources/medical/vagus-nerve-stimulation-therapy.cfm 
CLICK THE ABOVE LINK AND CLICK ON 'DONATE TODAY' TO BECOME A FORCE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST EPILEPSY!
REMEMBER!!


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that implant for all types of epilepsy? I have a minor case it's called JME, I have seizures but haven't had one in a few years, I've also been super careful. I was diagnosed in 2005 so I know how my body works with the epilepsy but I would still like to be seizure and twitch/jerk free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand, Monica. I still twitch everyday. It unfortunately does not work with all types. I would ask your neurologist if it is applicable for you.
      Good Luck! :)

      Delete

Please follow my blog! Also, feel free to leave comments and raise debates or questions about any of the topics. Sometimes looking at things from every perspective is the only way solutions can be found and other ideas can be explored.
Then after commenting, subscribe by email to be notified when someone responds to your post. I will read or listen to everyone’s comments, feedback, and ideas. If you have any ideas on how I can improve my blog, please let me know. This is my first blog experience and I hope to learn more about bogging through the process so that it won’t be my last. Thanks!