Pages

Friday, February 24, 2012

In Memory of My Father: 8 Years After His Death


Yesterday was officially 8 years to the day that it's been since I buried my dad. It just doesn't seem like it’s been that long. I handled this past week good because I try to avoid looking at the calendar this time of year if I possibly can. The last 2 weeks in February I tend to never know the date. That way I avoid the painful memories and won't be aware of some of the bad day's that plagued my February of 2004.
It still can be hard, but Father's Day's & his birthday are harder--probably because they happened every year instead of only one dreaded year. I always remember the last father’s day I had with my dad.   At least remembering the good times is easy when you had a great Dad, like mine!!!

In Memory of my Father, below I’m going to Publish a letter that I emailed a friend a few months ago, when her father was dying. She had emailed me and asked "how my Dad died & how old I was?" My response was written freestyle & quick, with no editing done. It was my free thoughts at the time, so to edit it now would censor the memory. But, it always brings memories & tears to my eyes. Therefore, I thought I would share it.

Here is what I wrote... I Love & Miss You Daddy!!!...

I think I was 24. Long & emotional story... at first he just started coughing, and then I cud tell somethen was wrong....then like 6 paramedics came at like 3 in the morning and I was riding in the front of ambulance as they was in the back pounding on his chest...

I said  to the driver: 'What does that mean??' I was in denial

Then they rushed him into a a room and pulled me into a private room... I shuda known somethen was wrong, so many signs.... they wouldn't even take him to they preferred hospital, they had to take him to the closest.

I was sitting in a small private room just waiting an shortly later, this tiny female doctor came in & started talking....I wouldn't even let her finish...

I just interrupted her & I knew... I said ' Is he dead' & she said 'yes'..... I started wailing so loud, u cud probably hear me in Lebanon.

There was a phone next to me & called my mom. She said she wakled into the kitchen, so not to wake up Ernest because she didn't know why I was callin @ 3am. And, Ernest said he could hear me crying and screaming over the phone all the way in the bedroom...

It was hard... I was a zombie for a few days

We had the viewing in Nashville & then Me, Mom & Ernest flew to New York to bury him where he was from....

My Dad's Italian Catholic family In Long Island are Character's....
It was like a Journey to the Sopranos...LOL

But, it gets better & now I mostly think of happy memories!!! I do love him & father's day is hard because i remember my last fathers day with him vividly.

I was an only child & he spoiled me rotten! He would do anything for me. I was Daddy's little girl!!!

 But, I know he looks down on me every day & smiles. I remember his smile. My Dad was a religious man... a lot more than me.

The night before he died... he ironically did something that I don't ever remember him doing with me.... he pulled out a book that had the Lord's Prayer.. & read it with me... we prayed together the night before he died...

I honestly can't say I remember Dad teaching me the Lord's Prayer before the night he died, he just ironically did on that night.
I wonder if unconsciously he was aware of what would happen???
                        I Love & Miss You Daddy!!!

2 comments:

  1. Thats sweet. Being with your family member as they are dying is hard. It is worse than hard. I don't know if any word can describe it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't think of any word. Although as painful as it was, I know I grew from the experience. Something like that can help a person to grow. However, sometimes growing from the trauma, requires a journey downhill first. At least it did for me.

      Delete

Please follow my blog! Also, feel free to leave comments and raise debates or questions about any of the topics. Sometimes looking at things from every perspective is the only way solutions can be found and other ideas can be explored.
Then after commenting, subscribe by email to be notified when someone responds to your post. I will read or listen to everyone’s comments, feedback, and ideas. If you have any ideas on how I can improve my blog, please let me know. This is my first blog experience and I hope to learn more about bogging through the process so that it won’t be my last. Thanks!